Friday, 5 August 2016

2. Shady Dealings

Stormreach, Xen’drik
Eyre 19, 997 YK

Mythic GME Chaos Rank: 5
Scene setup: d10=7 (unchanged)

Lavias would worship Olladra, one of the Sovereign Host, like most halflings. Termer probably also worships the Host.

Does Termer worship Arawai? Very likely (She is portrayed as a half-elf sometimes, and is commonly worshipped by those, like Termer, that work the land.).
Fate d100(47)=Yes

The Temple to Olladra was built around a courtyard, as was often the fashion amongst halfling builders. It was a place of peace, a haven amidst the city, but also of friendship and fun; halfling children played under the collonade on one side, their laughter making a cheering contrast with the noise of the city outside. Lavias sat on a wooden bench on the other side of the yard facing the altar—a monolith of dark stone carved to resemble a domino—and silently offered up a prayed to the goddess for the success of their expedition. Termer sat beside him, no doubt making a similar appeal to the Host.

Spout Lore(Termer): 2D6(6 1) +1 = 8 Partial success.
Lore but not useful

They finished their prayers and departed, turning south towards the marketplace. All around this district of the city, and of every other district, the high stone walls of Stormreach loomed over them. No human mason could have built these; vast blocks of stone, yards across, were built up into walls rising up hundreds of feet above the streets, and were matched in height by great pillars of stone that might once have supported a vast roof enclosing this space. All that was in ruins now; Termer had read that the city was built by the giants 60,000 years ago, and had been abandoned and fallen into ruins after their empire fell. Perhaps the ruins that their expedition was headed to would be similar to this.

The human city of Stormreach was built amidst the ruins of the Giantish one. The city population was little over ten thousand—far less than Sharn—and so there was plenty of space, amidst the vast expanse of ruins, for the new settlers to build their homes and halls. The city had only grown up in the last few hundred years, populated initially by pirates, then settlers and later refugees from Khorvaire. They had brought with them all their existing styles of architecture, making the city a patchwork of buildings tall and wide, large and small; a welcoming halfling home here, a solid dwarven home of stone there.

Parley(Dornien): 2D6(2 4) +2 = 8 Partial success.
Proof required

Dornien wanted to make the purchases so he could cut a deal with the merchant and keep a percentage for himself; Offer an opportunity that fits a class’ abilities. But Esinor doesn’t trust him that far, yet.

They passed through a gate in one of the vast Giantish walls into the Marketplace and turned west. They had agreed to meet Dornien at the Thrifty Traveller; their captain had talked Esinor into letting him buy their remaining supplies for the expedition.

Supply(Dornien): Stormreach’s main trade is supplying expeditions into Xen’drik; supplies are readily available.

But Dornien still wants a bargain.

Parley(Dornien): 2D6(2 2) +2 = 6 Failure!
Is the Thrifty Traveller actually a front for a criminal operation? 50:50 (Maybe that’s why it’s cheaper than the other outfitters here?).
Fate d100(35)=Yes

Show Aid from an Enemy, or Opposition from an Ally

They soon found the shop, and Dornien was there, haggling with the merchant over the price of shipping crates.

“Two days is not a lot of time to get the wagon and crates,” the merchant was saying. “Two hundred gold is a good deal.”

“Now I appreciate that you are doing a lot for us here,” said Dornien. He leaned over the counter, and lowered his voice a little so that the other patrons could not hear. “But I’m buying a lot of goods here, all told. And we both know that you have those crates in a warehouse somewhere, just taking up space until you sell them. You can get money for them, right now.”

One of Esinor’s apprentices, Badein, was with Dornien. Lavias had not spoken much to any of the apprentices—they tended to stick together, on the voyage, and had not mixed with the adventurers much—so he knew nothing more than the man’s name. Badein wore a blue robe and a sachel; he leaned against the counter, paying little attention.

There was some more haggling and—after Dornien had threatened to go down the street to another shop, and got as far as turning for the door once—he finally got the merchant to agree to a discounted price.

“1900 gold for the lot, we have a deal.” Dornien turned to Badein and smiled smugly. “Clerk, please count out 1900 for me. And do be precise about it.”

Badein gave Dornien a harsh look, but said nothing; he took a bag of coins out of his sachel and counted out the money. A list of goods was signed for, money changed hands, and the adventurers left to return to the hostel.

As soon as they were in the street outside, Badein spoke up. “I am not your clerk, Dornien. Remember who pays your wages here.”

“Then next time Esinor should give me the money and let me make the trade,” Dornien replied. “As you saw, I was quite able to get us a good deal, as I said. There was no need for you to accompany me.”

Navigate(Dornien): 2D6(4 2) +0 = 6 Failure!
Offer Aid from an Enemy, Opposition from an Ally: The thieves have paid off the city watch to turn a blind eye to their trade.

They turned into an alleyway between two buildings. Dornien and Badein led the way, the latter quietly fuming. The sounds of the marketplace were slightly muffled here, and the alley smelt of trash and stagnant water.

Introduce a new faction or type of creature: thieves

First thief I rolled as a drow.

Are the thieves all drow? 50:50 ().
Fate d100(74)=No

Let’s say that the expedition did get their swords and leather armour already—Esinor bought some of the less bulky or perishable supplies back in Sharn, where they would be cheaper.

Suddenly, two figures dropped down from a roof in front of them, blocking their way. One was short, clearly a halfling, the other was a short human height; both wore brown cloaks with the hoods up, and they had daggers drawn.

The human spoke; it was a woman’s voice, with a strange accent. “That’s far enough, gentlemen. Hand over your gold and then you can go on your way.”

“Now, hold on ladies,” Dornien started. “I think with four of us and two of—”

Discern Realities(Lavias): 2D6(4 1) +0 = 5 Failure!
Deal damage: d4=4 damage

Lavias looked around just in time to see the other two thieves creeping up behind them. One, a dwarf woman with braided hair, grabbed him. It all happened so quickly: the pain in his throat, falling, choking for breath. She cut my throat. Olladra have mercy! He was vaguely aware of lying in dirt and water.

The last thing that he heard, distantly, was the same female voice asking, “Care to reconsider?” Then there was only darkness.

Last Breath(Lavias): You have a moment to consider the afterlife - and then die

Villagers don’t get to roll to survive on Last Breath. Well damn. I was getting into that character. But it’s a funnel; he’s only the first to die.


Do the party fight? 50:50 ().
Fate d100(45)=Yes
Cast a spell(Magic missile)(Badein): 2D6(2 5) +1 = 8 Partial success.
Random -1 ongoing; deals d4=4 damage

The enemies are reskinned Thornlings from Funnel World: they do less damage than most enemies in the DungeonWorld core book, so they’re a better match for my level-0 adventurers here.

The sudden appearance of thieves had shocked Badein out of his bad mood. He turned at the sound behind them and saw two more thieves, and Lavias on the ground with his throat cut. They’re going to kill us all, Badein thought; he turned back and, drawing on his arcane skills, he fired a magic missile at the leader. She was blasted backwards, her body bouncing off of the wall to one side and landing face-down in the alley.

Hack and Slash(Dornien): 2D6(5 2) +0 = 7 Partial success.
Deals d4=2 damage, 1 after armour, Put someone in a spot
Defy Danger(DEX)(Dornien): 2D6(2 2) -2 = 2 Failure!
Deal damage: d4=4 damage
Last Breath(Dornien): You died

Dornien also drew his sword, and slashed at the halfling as she tried to duck under his blade. The stroke connected and there was a yelp of pain, but the halfling got past the blade and got in close, driving her dagger into Dornien’s chest. He was dead before he hit the ground.

Hack and Slash(Termer): 2D6(2 4) +0 = 6 Failure!
Does Termer take damage? 50:50 ().
Fate d100(26)=Yes

Deal damage: d4+1=4 damage, 3 after armour

Last Breath(Termer): You died
Does Badein run? 50:50 ().
Fate d100(15)=Yes

Badein turned around to see that Termer had been cut down by the other two thieves. He was on his own—with three thieves, and the bodies of his companions, around him. He turned and fled.

Defy Danger(DEX)(Badein): 2D6(5 1) +1 = 7 Partial success.
Tell them the requirements or consequences and ask: Ditch your pack or you’re in trouble
Does Badein ditch his sachel? Somewhat likely (Survival is more important than money).
Fate d100(68)=No

Put someone in a spot

He heard a curse and footsteps behind him, as the thieves gave chase. The end of the alley was only twenty yards away; he thought he could make it. His sachel, containing some of Esinor’s coin, was flapping around him, hindering his flight; but it contained his spellbook, so he did not consider dropping it. As he neared the end of the alley, he heard one of the thieves getting closer behind him, and then his ankle was grabbed from behind, and he fell forwards, just short of the end of the alley.

Cast a spell(Magic Missile)(Badein): 2D6(3 4) +1-1 = 7 Partial success.
Random Put someone in a spot; deals d4=1 damage, negated by armour

Badein is lucky here that my randomly-rolled thieves (that are not dead) are a dwarf, halfling and human. The human caught him, the others are slower.

Does the thief stab Badein? Somewhat likely (He is firing at her, after all).
Fate d100(38)=Yes
Defy Danger(DEX)(Badein): 2D6(1 1) +1 = 3 Failure!
Deal damage: d4=4 damage

Max damage, yet again. The party all had 3 HP each, so they had a fair chance to survive some of those hits.

Badein rolled over, held his hands out and fired another magic missile. But the thief had dived to grab his ankle and was on the ground like he was; the missile scorched her back but did not do serious harm. Badein tried to pull away, pushing at the ground with his hands to try to free himself, but the thief clambered over his legs, pinning his robe to the ground with her foot, and knelt over him.

“This is for Triela,” she said, as she slashed her dagger across his throat. The last thing that Badein felt was the strap of his sachel being cut.

Last Breath(Badein): You died
End of Session(party): What party?

We still have the rest of the expedition of course, so the game can continue (it’s a Villager Bank, in Funnel World terms). I’ll think about it.

XP: Sakhilsi 1/5, everyone else on 0.

No comments:

Post a Comment